We love ice cream! There we said it, haha! So, when we decided to move towards a plant-based diet we were always looking for ways to replicate our favorites, trying to get the right consistency, flavor, and texture. When we realized that we could freeze ripe bananas, it was a game changer. The frozen bananas gave us the exact consistency we were looking for without added sugar.
This recipe is a recreation of our favorite chocolate peanut butter ice cream and it’s truly delicious, a bit indulgent, and totally worth it! We hope you enjoy this “nice cream” as much as we do!
3 dates, pitted
2 tbsp cacao powder (unsweetened)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup coconut cream (thick top layer from canned coconut milk)
2 tbsp cacao nibs
6 frozen bananas
1 heaping tablespoon of peanut butter
Any toppings of your choice
1. In a blender, add dates, cacao powder, vanilla extract and coconut cream and blend until smooth.
2. Then add frozen bananas and cacao nibs to the blender and blend again until everything is combined and it has the texture of ice cream. You might need to pause the blender a couple of times and push down the sides.
3. If the texture is too thin, you can transfer the mixture to the freezer for about 30 minutes and stir occasionally.
4. Smear the peanut butter around the inside of your serving jar before you scoop in the ice cream.
5. Add any toppings of your choice.