Sometimes we just crave a chocolate chip cookie! The kind of chocolate chip cookie that we would have as kids, not too soft, not too hard, just enough chocolate chips, and perfect straight out of the oven, but also just as good the next day. Is that asking too much? Since starting our plant based journey it’s been hard to find a chocolate chip cookie that we feel like we don’t have to make any compromises for, which means it’s gotta be gluten free, plant based, and have minimal ingredients. Needless to say it’s been a long time coming that we tried our luck at making our own version that is healthier and DELICIOUS and we think you’ll love these as much as we do!
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 10-12 cookies
Store in an air tight container in your pantry, fridge, or freezer for up to 5 days, if they last that long 😉
1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
3 tbsp water
1/3 cup vegan butter (we used Monty’s Plant Based Butter)
4 tbsp date syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups gluten free flour (we used Bob’s Red Mill)
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
2 tbsp plant milk
How to make:
- Preheat your oven to 350F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- First make your flax egg by combining 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed with 3 tbsp of water. Stir to combine and let sit for a few minutes.
- Next, in a mixing bowl add in your butter, date syrup, and vanilla extract. You can either whisk this together using a hand-held mixer, or by hand for 1-2 minutes until it’s soft and has a nice creamy look to it.
- In that same bowl stir in your flax egg and then add in about half of the flour and all of your baking powder. Whisk this all together until well combined.
- Add in your remaining flour and plant milk and combine to make a rough dough. Then add in your chocolate chips (save some to add on top of the cookies before baking) and knead by hand so you get an even distribution of chocolate chips and then bring this all together into a giant cookie dough ball.
- Divide the dough into 10-12 pieces and roll into balls (OPTIONAL: to get a more rustic looking cookie, place the 10-12 cookie dough balls into the fridge for 30 minutes before proceeding to next step).
- Place each cookie onto your baking tray and press down with your fingers to flatten each cookie to your desired thickness. We don’t like ours too thick so we flattened each to about 1/2 inch. Then add your remaining chocolate chips, by pressing in a couple chips onto the top of each cookie.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before eating.